A phd is not enough

First off, apologies for the title but I know it will rattle some of you.
It is actually the title of a book, Author: Peter J. Feibelman

This post is my way of saying hello and starting a conversation.
If you haven’t read the book I would recommend you do as it is about saving time dealing with non-research elements of academia and also career planning.
One of the ideas explored in the book is doing research in industry. When I was an undergrad I thought this sounded reasonable, but I have never seen a proper privatised research job that I would consider to be as involved as research at a university. I was wondering if anyone has experienced private/industry research and if they could share what their impression of it was.

1 Like

Hi Hayden P., well, you’ve mentioned a very good book here, and that, in combination with “How to get a PhD,” would be a great set of tools to help any prospective students to achieve success. However, about doing research in the industry is quite common except that industry-based researchers aren’t tenured academics/researchers. I would suggest maintaining a wider research network such actively connecting with peers or academics for example, on ResearchGate. That would be great as it might provide a wide variety of support and chances of connecting with potential collaborators. This makes PhD very interesting and rewarding. Additionally, great chances of getting industry or academic research employment.

My little cent :heart_eyes: