Sharing Resources - Academic Writing

How is it going everyone??

I don’t know if this is an obvious resource but I believe this will be useful for international students especially. I just want to recommend the book Academic writing: a handbook for international students by Stephen Bailey for the ones who want to learn or review the basics of academic writing.

I recently dropped out of a Ph.D. program, intend to apply for another one, and noticed that writing always scared the hell out of me. I found a paper (Cameron et al., 2009) mentioning that this topic is usually not covered in most graduate programs even though being the basic foundation for all research, then I discovered the book I mention. I only read a couple of chapters but it has been really useful especially to ease my anxiety to levels I can actually think about what I am doing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. So that’s why I am recommending it. If you look for the title of the book it is possible to find it online for free. If you don’t find it, drop me a message and I can send you a copy. :blush:

I hope it helps!!

References:

• Bailey, S. (2015). Academic writing: A handbook for international students (Fourth edition). Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
  • Cameron, J., Nairn, K., & Higgins, J. (2009). Demystifying Academic Writing: Reflections on Emotions, Know-How and Academic Identity. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 33(2), 269–284. https://doi.org/10.1080/03098260902734943
1 Like

I’m using Academic Writing for Graduate Students by Swales and Feak. a great book too!

1 Like

I am reading (Bailey, 2015) and I just looked over (Swales & Feak, 2012). My opinion so far is that (Bailey, 2015) provides a better range of skills, going from the basics of how to take notes, what to focus on in a summary, and how to do a proper quotation to the more advanced topics like vocabulary and writing models.

Although (Swales & Feak, 2012) looks like to present a shorter range, focused on advanced topics, it presents a greater depth. Which makes total sense if you look at their titles!! :sweat_smile:

I am loving to cover the basics because I have been doing things on my own. The more I read the more I see I have huge skill gaps!! But I will definitely take a look at it once I feel more comfortable with the basics.

Thanks for sharing!!

Refereces:
Bailey, S. (2015). Academic writing: A handbook for international students (Fourth edition). Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
Swales, J. M., & Feak, C. B. (2012). Academic Writing for Graduate Students: Essential Tasks and Skills (3rd ed. edição). University of Michigan Press.

1 Like